Smoke and flames were issuing when crews arrived at the scene who led an evacuation of the residents from the eight flats above the shop.
Breathing apparatus, jets and hose reels were used to extinguish the blaze before firefighters damped down and conducted Community Safety messaging to neighbouring properties.
The chip shop was destroyed in the blaze. Four residents required treatment for light smoke inhalation after smoke had spread into a number of the attached flats.
The incident was scaled back to three appliances before the stop message came in at 05:18.